Sept 2013-July 12, 2017 Ph.D. in Environmental Science & Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
Sept 2009-Dec 02, 2011 M.A. in Environmental Planning and Management, University of Nairobi, Kenya.
Sept 1999- Nov 07, 2003 B.Ed. in Geography and Mathematics, Moi University, Kenya.
Jan 1994-Nov 1997 KCSE in Kimilili Boys Secondary School, Bungoma County, Kenya.
Jan 7, 2020-Hitherto
Nov 08, 2019-Hitherto
Feb 06, 2019-Nov 05, 2019
Aug 01, 2018-Nov 05, 2019
Post-Graduate Coordinator-Department of Agriculture and Environmental Studies, Rongo University
Lecturer Rongo University, School of Science, Agriculture, and Environmental Studies, Department of Agriculture and Environmental Studies
Head of Arts and Science Programmes-The Catholic University of Eastern Africa, Gaba Campus, Eldoret
Lecturer, Department of Geography and Environmental studies, Catholic University of East Africa (CUEA), GABA Campus, Eldoret
Lecturer, Department of Education, Mount Kenya University, (Nairobi Town Campus) Kenya
Consulting on Environmental Issues- as EIA and EA lead expert
Feb 09, 2012-Aug 30, 2013
Sunshine Secondary School (Nairobi), Kenya- Served as Senior Head of Department (May 09, 2013), house master, class teacher and patron of environmental club while teaching Geography and Mathematics.
Dec 01, 2008-Dec 31, 2010
Jeremic Adventist Academy (Nairobi)- Served as school Principal, Patron Environmental Club while teaching Geography.
Jan 2005- Dec 2008
Kitui S.D.A School (Kitui)- Served as Deputy Principal (Jan 09, 2007), patron Environmental Club while teaching Geography and Mathematics.
May 01, 2003-Dec 31, 2004
Kim Girls High School Kapkoto- serving as BOM teacher of Geography and Mathematics and Environmental Club patron
Honours and awards
Recognition: World Scientist and University Rankings 2022 © 2022 AD (Alper-Doger ) Scientific Index – 2022 Kenya Top 1,000 Scientists. Ranked 2 (Rongo University), 659 (Nationally), 13572 (Regionally) and 566375 (Worldly) https://www.adscientificindex.com/?country_code=ke
Award: Award of 10,000 ¥ for publishing with High-Rated-Journal (Water Research) in the State Key Laboratory, Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, School of Municipal and Environmental Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, 2017.
- Professional affiliation/ Membership to professional bodies
Registered (September 2017) as a Lead Expert with National Environmental Management Authority (NEMA) in Environmental Impact Assessment/Audit-Expert Registration No. 9462
- Climate change and adaptation, mitigation and resilience
- Biowaste management
- Environmental Health
- Natural resource management
- Clean energy production/ Bioenergy recovery from wastes
- Consulting; environmental awareness issues, sustainability, impact assessment and environmental audit
- Microbial community analysis and assessment
- Environmental nano-materials, application and risk assessment
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Disaster preparedness and management
- Geographical concepts and integration
Ongoing research projects:
Research supervision for masters students
- i) Arthur O. Orangi. MSC Environmental Planning and Management. Rongo University. 2021
- David Odhiambo Ore. MSC Environmental Planning and Management. Rongo University. 2021
- Patrick Onyango Peter. MSC Environmental Planning and Management. Rongo University. 2021
- i) Kuwaka Carol Temko, Kadurenge Benard, & Ambuchi John Justo (2021). Role of Counselling Programme on Rehabilitation of Vulnerable Children in Charitable Children’s Homes in Trans Nzoia County. International Journal of Recent Innovations in Academic Research, 5(7), 91–99. Retrieved from https://www.ijriar.com/index.php/ijriar/article/view/96
- Ambuchi JJ, Zhang Z, Dong Y, Huang L, Feng Y. Hematite and multi-walled carbon nanotubes stimulate a faster syntrophic pathway during methanogenic beet sugar industrial wastewater degradation. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology. 2018:1-2(SCI IF 42).
- Ambuchi JJ, Zhang Z, Shan L, Liang D, Zhang P, Feng Y. Response of anaerobic granular sludge to iron oxide nanoparticles and multi-wall carbon nanotubes during beet sugar industrial wastewater treatment. Water Research. 2017 Jun 15; 117:87-94 (SCI IF 6.942).
- Justo Ambuchi John, Junfeng L, Lili S, Haiman W, Lorivi MR, Mohammed MO, Xiangtong Z, Yujie F. Integrated expanded granular sludge bed and sequential batch reactor treating beet sugar industrial wastewater and recovering bioenergy. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2016 Oct 1; 23(20):21032-40 (SCI IF 741).
- Ambuchi JJ, Zhang Z, Feng Y. Biogas enhancement using iron oxide nanoparticles and multi-wall carbon nanotubes. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. 2016 Sep 1;10(10):1305-11.
- Ambuchi JJ, Liu J, Wang H, Shan L, Zhou X, Mohammed MO, Feng Y. Microbial community structural analysis of an expanded granular sludge bed (EGSB) reactor for beet sugar industrial wastewater (BSIW) treatment. Applied microbiology and biotechnology. 2016 May 1; 100(10):4651-61(SCI IF 42).
- Shan L, Liu J, Ambuchi JJ, Yu Y, Huang L, Feng Y. Investigation on decolorization of biologically pretreated cellulosic ethanol wastewater by electrochemical method. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2017 Sep 1; 323:455-64 (SCI IF 6.216).
- Dong Y, Qu Y, Li C, Han X, Ambuchi JJ, Liu J, Yu Y, Feng Y. Simultaneous algae-polluted water treatment and electricity generation using a biocathode-coupled electrocoagulation cell (bio-ECC). Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2017 Jun 23(SCI IF 6.065).
- Shan L, Zhang Z, Yu Y, Ambuchi JJ, Feng Y. Performance of CSTR–EGSB–SBR system for treating sulfate-rich cellulosic ethanol wastewater and microbial community analysis. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2017 Apr 21:1-9 (SCI IF 2.741).
- Sui M, Dong Y, Bai W, Ambuchi JJ, You H. In-situ utilization of generated electricity in a photocatalytic fuel cell to enhance pollutant degradation. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry. 2017 Apr 20(SCI IF2.625).
- Dong Y, Liu J, Sui M, Qu Y, Ambuchi JJ, Wang H, Feng Y. A combined microbial desalination cell and electrodialysis system for copper-containing wastewater treatment and high-salinity-water desalination. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2017 Jan 5; 321:307-15(SCI IF 6.065).
- Lorivi R, Li J, Ambuchi JJ, Deng K. Investigation of Wood Chips as Internal Carbon Source Supporting Denitrification Process in Domestic Wastewater Treatment. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Chemical, Molecular, Nuclear, Materials and Metallurgical Engineering. 2016 Sep 1; 10(10):1248-52.
- Shan L, Liu J, Yu Y, Ambuchi JJ, Feng Y. Characterization of persistent colors and decolorization of effluent from biologically treated cellulosic ethanol production wastewater. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2016 May 1; 23(10):10215-22(SCI IF 2.741).
- Wang Haiman, Youpeng Qu, John J. Ambuchi, Da Li, Weihua He, Xiangtong Zhou, Jia Liu, and YujieFeng. “Cascade degradation of organic matters in brewery wastewater using a continuous stirred microbial electrochemical reactor and analysis of microbial communities.” Scientific reports 6 (2016) (SCI IF847).
- Mohammed MO, SONG WW, Li W, LI WL, LI YF, Khan AU, Ibrahim MA, Maarouf OA, Ahmed AA, Ambuchi JJ. Potential Toxicological and Cardiopulmonary Effects of PM 2.5 Exposure and Related Mortality: Findings of Recent Studies Published during 2003-2013. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences. 2016 Jan 31; 29(1):66-79 (SCI IF204).
- Shan L, Yu Y, Zhu Z, Zhao W, Wang H, Ambuchi JJ, Feng Y. Microbial community analysis in a combined anaerobic and aerobic digestion system for treatment of cellulosic ethanol production wastewater. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 2015 Nov 1; 22(22):17789-98(SCI IF 2.741).
- Mohammed MO, Song WW, Ma WL, Li WL, Ambuchi JJ, Thabit M, Li YF. Trends in indoor–outdoor PM 2.5 research: A systematic review of studies conducted during the last decade (2003–2013). Atmospheric Pollution Research. 2015 Sep 30; 6(5):893-903(SCI IF 1.637).