1992- 1997: D. Phil. In Botany [Plant Pathology/Microbiology] Allahabad University INDIA.
1988 – 1991: MSc. (Plant Pathology/Microbiology); (Allahabad University) INDIA.
1991: Post Graduate Diploma in Environment and Ecology (PGDEE); Indian Institute of Environment and Ecology, New – Delhi, INDIA.
1985 – 1988: BSc. (Botany, Zoology, Chemistry). First Class Degree from Panjab University – Chandigarh (INDIA).
Lecturer, Researcher and guide to under graduate and postgraduate student projects in Microbiology and Plant Pathology. Lecturing; BOT 212: Plant Ecology; MIC 210: General Microbiology; MIC 221: Ecological Microbiology; MIC 222: Environmental Microbiology; MIC 310: Soil Microbiology; BOT 307: Mycology; BOT 410: Plant Pathology; BOT 412: Phycology; MIC 420: Applied Microbiology.
- The American Phytopathological Society (APS).
- SENSER (Science Education for New Civic Engagement and Responsibilities).
- Microorganisms of degraded lands.
- Ecology, Taxonomy and Conservation of Pteridophytic flora (Ferns and Fern Allies and Orchids), Bryophytes, Algae and Fungal ( Mushrooms) species of East Africa.
- Field management of Bruchids on Phaseolus vulgaris (Beans), using selected phytochemicals, insecticides and entomopathogens.
- Research on diseases affecting Avocado rootstocks and Post-harvest diseases of fruits and some of their ecopathological effects.
- Pharmaceutical, pharmacological and toxicological assays of herbal medicine from plant extracts as used by herbal practitioners.
ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECTS:
a) Biology, Physiology and Nutritional Composition of Black Soldier Fly (BSF) and its
production for feed, food and other economic products.
b) Comparison between the scales and phyllopodia of some Indian species of Isoetes with those of their East African counterparts.
c) Studies on increased respiration of sorghum earheads infected Claviceps microcephala.
C Nyamwamu, S.O.Wagai, W.N.O Gisesa (2020). .An ethnomedical survey of plants used by Abagusii traditional healers of South West Kenya. Journal of medicinal plants ; 8(3), pp. 34-38.ISSN(P)2394- 0530.
- M. Nyongesah, G.Odhiambo, S.O.Wagai (2020). The effectiveness of local strains of Fusarium oxysporium f. Sp. Strigaeto control Striga hermonthica on local maize in western Kenya. Journal of Food Science and Nutrition.https:/doi.org/10/002/fsn/3/1732.
- Ouma, D.O George, W.O. Samuel (2019), An analysis of socioeconomic factors affecting avocado production in saline and flooded areas around Lake Victoria Basin of Western Kenya. African Journal of Agricultural Research. Vol. 14(35) pp.2948-2061, 2019.ISSN, 1991-637x.
- O.Opande, S.O. Wagai, C.O. Charles and D. M. Musyimi (2017). Carpet characteristicsof Eichhornia crassipes [MART] SOLMS[Water hyacinth] in the Winam Gulf (Lake Victoria)
- A. Manguro, and S. O. Wagai (2016). Ursane and Tirucallane-type triterpenes of Boswellia rivae oleo-gum resin Journal of Asian Natural Products Research, ISSN: 1028-6020(Print) 1477-2213 online.
- Susan and S. O. Wagai (2015). Antimicrobial activities of microorganisms obtained from the gut of Macrotermes michaelseni of Maseno University Kenya. Journal of Applied Biology & Biotechnology,September (2015). JABB – 2015-9-077
- Ouma, S. Wagai, and H. Aloo (2012); Abstract: evaluation of Avocado roots took for tolerance to salinity and soil borne diseases for food security and poverty alleviation around the Lake Victoria Basin. National Council for Science and Technology, NCST/067 Pg 5.
- O. Ofulla, J.O. Onyuka, S.O. Wagai, D. Anyona, G.O. Dida and J. Gichuki (2011). Comparison of Different Techniques for Processing and preservation of fish Rastrine obolaargentea from Lake Victoria, Kenya. World Academy of Science and Technology, 60, 1643 – 1647.
- G.Wagura, S.O. Wagai, L. Manguro and B. M. Gichimu, (2011). Effects of Selected Plants’ Extracts on invitro Growth of Ralstonia solanacearum (Smith), the Causal Agent of Bacteria Wilt of Irish Potatoes. Plant Pathology Journal,10 (2): 66 – 72.
- P. futi, S. O. Wagai, O. J. Acholla, W.A. Otieno, O.S. Ochieng’ and M. C. Mukisira (2011).
Harvesting surface rainwater – purification using Moringa oleifera seed extracts and aluminium sulfate.Journal of Agricultural Extension and rural Development, vol. 3 (6), pp, 102 – 112.
- O. Onyango, S.O. Wagai, P.F. Arama, V.A. Palapala and B.M. Gichimu (2011). Suitability of Selected Supplemented Substrates for Cultivation of Kenyan Native Wood Ear Mushrooms (auricularia auricular). American Journal of Food Technology, ISSN 1557 – 4571/DOI:
10.3923/AJFT. Pp, 1-9.
- S.A. Opiyo, L.O.A Manguro, J.A. Ogur and S.O. Wagai (2010). Bioactive Constituents of Conyza floribunda. Research Journal of Pharmacology 4(3): 55-59.
- B.O. Obongoya, S.O. Wagai and G. Odhiambo (2010) Phytotoxic Effect of selected Extracts on soil – Borne fungi of common beans,African Journal of Food Agriculture, Vol. 18. No1, pp. 15-22.
- B.O. Obongoya, S.O. Wagai and G. Odhiambo, (2009). Fungitoxic properties of Crude Plant Extracts on fusarium oxysporumF. Sp. Phaseoli. African Journal of Food Agriculture, Vol. 9 No. 8.1652- 1666.
- L.O.A. Manguro, J.O. Ogur, D.M. Okora, S.O. Wagai and P. Lemmen, (2007). Further Flavanol and Iridoid Glycosides from Ajuaga remota: aerial parts. Journal of Asian Natural Products Research. Vol. 9, No.7, pp, 617- 629.
- G. Opande, S.O. Wagai and J.C. Onyango, (2004). Lake Victoria: The water Hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes (MART) Solms), its scio-economic effects control measures and resurgence in the Winum Gulf, Limnologia. 34, 105- 109.
- L.A. Manguro, S.O. Wagai and P. Lemmen, (2006). Flavanol &Iridoid Glycosides of Ajugaremota; aerial parts. Phytochemistry, 67, 830 – 837.
- G.K. Srivastava, M. Srivastava and S.O. Wagai (2001). Quillworts of Sahyadri Hills( India). Indian Fern Journal, 18: 89-101.
- G.K. Srivastava, M. Srivastava and S.O. Wagai (1997). Soils in relation to distribution and growth performance of Isoetes dixitei Shende in the Western Ghats of India. International Society for Tropical Ecology, Tropical Ecology, 38(2): 317-322.
- G.K. Srivastava, S.O. Wagai (1997) and P. Shukla(1996). In situ germination of megaspores of some Indian species of Isoetes dixitei Shende L. Natiomal Acad. Science letters, Vol. 19, No. 98: 10, 191-194.
- G.K. Srivastava, S.O. Wagai (1995). Scales and Phyllopodia of some Indian species of Isoetes L. The Palaeobotanist Society. Lucknow, 16-18 Nov..1995.
- S. O. Wagai (1995) and G.K. Srivastava(1995). Megaspores of some Indian species of Isoetes L. and comparable living and fossil forms. The Palaeobotanist(A Golden Jubilee Year Tribute), Vol. 44, 215-224.